Unit Election/Visitation Request
Otahnagon Lodge is opening its 2022 elections for membership into the Order of the Arrow. Due to the extensive length of the pandemic the National Order of the Arrow Committee has modified the camping requirements for candidates to the Order (see Youth Membership Qualifications #3 below). With social distancing and limited in person interactions continuing to put strain on units we will be offering a variety of options in order to allow your unit to elect individuals.
Unit Election Options:
- In Person Unit Election at the Winter Camporees: If you unit is planning on attending one of the Winter Camporees at either Camp Barton, Dwyer Park, or Camp Tuscarora the Lodge is available to come to your campsite and hold a unit election. The team will consist of three individuals and will be held outdoors at your campsite. We are looking to hold the elections in the midafternoon – early evening time frame. If you are interested and having the Lodge conduct a unit election please email Lodge Chief, Devin Miller at email@example.com so we can plan accordingly.
- Zoom Elections: If your unit is already meeting via Zoom we would be happy to join a zoom call or setup a zoom call for your unit to hold a unit election. If you are interested in scheduling an unit zoom election please email Lodge Chief, Devin Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can plan accordingly.
- Self-Guided Unit Elections: For units that have active members of the Order of the Arrow, they can select a self-guided election process. The Lodge has made available all the materials needed for your units Arrowmen to conduct an election by going to www.otahnagonlodge172.org and clicking 2022 Unit Election/Visitation link.
- In Person Unit Elections: Currently in person unit elections are being limited due to recent up tick in the COVID -19 pandemic. The Lodge is willing to work with your unit to perform in person elections if all applicable safety measures are being met. We are willing to also work with your unit if they are going to be doing a winter campout where we may be able to send an election unit to the outdoor event. If you are interested in this option please email Lodge Chief, Devin Miller at email@example.com so we can work with you on setting up an election.
2022 National Order of the Arrow Requirement for Youth Membership
Youth Membership Qualifications
1. Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
2. At the time of their election, youth must be under the age of 21, hold the Scouts BSA First Class rank, the Venturing
Discovery Award, or the Sea Scout Ordinary rank or higher, and following approval by the scoutmaster, crew
advisor or Sea Scout skipper be elected by the youth members of their unit.
3) Camping Requirements: Virtual Camping has been suspended. Scouts need to have 15 nights of camping with 5 being consecutive nights..
4. Assistant scoutmasters who are 18, 19 or 20 years old are also considered to be youth members for the purpose
of OA elections. All requirements shown above must be met for a young assistant scoutmaster to be eligible for
Prior to the annual election, the unit leader must certify the nominee’s Scout spirit and youth membership qualifications.
Voting for youth candidates will be based on their spirit of brotherhood, cheerfulness (no matter how tiresome
their duties), and a willingness to give unselfish and wholehearted service to others at all times.
Adult Membership Qualifications
Each year, upon holding a unit election for youth candidates that results in at least one youth candidate being elected,
the unit committee may nominate registered unit adults, 21 years of age or older, to the lodge adult selection committee.
The number of adults nominated can be no more than one-third of the number of youth candidates elected,
rounded up where the number of youth candidates is not a multiple of three. In addition to the one-third limit, the unit
committee may nominate the currently serving unit leader (but not assistant leaders), as long as he or she has served
as unit leader for at least the previous 12 months. Recommendations of the adult selection committee, with the
approval of the Scout executive, will be candidates for induction, provided the following conditions are fulfilled:
1. Selection of the adult is based on the ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose
and is not for recognition of service, including current and prior achievements and positions.
2. The individual will be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities that fulfill the purpose of the Order.
3. The camping requirements set forth for youth members are fulfilled.
4. The adult leader’s membership will provide a positive example for the growth and development of the youth
members of the lodge.
We look forward to working with you and your units on electing the newest members of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Honor Society.